Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's Not About Me

Dear Worshippers,

I really hated not being at church on Sunday. It was the first Sunday I have missed in twelve years of ministry due to sickness. But my reasons for being there have more to do with the fact that I would love to have experienced what God did through His servant leaders who filled the gap left created by my absence.

My philosophy of ministry centers around Ephesians 4:12 which explains the role of a pastor. It says that are "for the training of the saints in the work of the ministry, to build up the body of Christ..." There is more, but let me illustrate this much. I have only had a little hand in this but Pastor Nate leading the service, Bill Fleet leading the choir, Lindy Mink, Audrey and Doug Stern singing on the team [all for the first time], Cindy Furl sharing a Life Change Story, are all examples of saints engaged in the work of the ministry in a way that built up the body of Christ. Those things are not about me. They are about the Lord we serve.

When Pastor Myron shared the glowing report of the service yesterday with me I wept. One might think it was because it went well even in my absence leaving me with feelings of dispensability, but I already knew that. One might think it was because I love the church and really hated missing such a special service, and though this is true there was another better reason for tears. Good worship at North-Mar is "not about me" or any one of us. It's about Jesus.

It's not about me. That's the phrase that has been on my mind the last few days as I am reflecting what God is saying about my present condition. And He is saying that personally as well as pastorally.

Our oldest son Samuel commented "Mom, Satan really doesn't want Dad at this church does he?" As Pastor Myron rephrased that comment later asking if the Devil was going to have his way our seven year-old Isaac responded, "No way, Devil, no way!" Now this is coming from a couple of little boys who have had quite of bit of transition lately and whose dad who hardly ever gets sick is in the hospital. God is at work it this situation. It's not about me.

Don't misunderstand. I am careful not to make promises to my boys I cannot keep. i.e. "Dad will always be here for you", but rather I try to teach them that God is. Even now in this difficulty He is there. I am using this brokenness to show that God is always and ever there carrying us. He reminded me of that in Isaiah 46:4b just the other day, "I have made you, and I will carry you; I will bear and save you." Even in these words I see it's not about me, it's about my God.

Laying here in my hospital bed considering a surgical procedure tomorrow I am reminded once again, it's not about me. It's not that I am not involved here, but simply that God is ever doing something in and through us that is much bigger than us. I hope that whatever you are facing today, that perspective will help you face it in a way that will bring glory to the name of Jesus.

Though I am aware it’s not about me I am overwhelmed at every reminder that someone is praying for me. In the last few days I have been brought to tears as I have had others, either over the phone or in person, stop and pray for me. Thank you so much for all your concern and prayers for me and my family. Please keep praying. God is doing something new and we have only begun to see the very beginning of it.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: