Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Firsts and Fears

Dear Worshippers,

Last week I indicated that I would write today about Revelation and Response, but I would feel led in another direction. I will come back and pick up that theme sometime soon. Thanks for flowing with me as I endeavor to follow the Lord, in this and all things.

It occurred to me as I was praying this morning for my two oldest boys that they have experienced a lot of firsts in the last few days. Friday, they woke up for the first day in their new home town. Saturday, we moved into our new house. Sunday, they attended their new church. Monday, they attended their new schools for the first day. Today, they rode a school bus for the first time. That list is overwhelming for me to write, and even more so for them to live.

The reason is that with firsts come fears. Will I like this place, this house? Will anyone like me? Will I find and friends? What will it be like riding that new school bus? There are a lot of questions with firsts, and a lot of emotions that are right behind them.

I think immediately of the Israelites moving into the Promised Land. Sure, slavery was behind them, but what lay ahead? The first time in generations they would be without the yoke of their Egyptian masters left them feeling isolated and exposed, the downside to free. The Lord told them several times in Joshua 1 to be strong and courageous, just like I have told me boys, because He would be with them, and my boys. God said this because He knew they would be afraid.

Fear manifests itself in a number of ways. The “fight or flight” response is triggered. Anger, anxiety, paralysis, nervousness, bitterness, frustration, etc. Any of these emotional responses can be difficult to deal with but when they are layered the problem becomes even more complex.

This got me thinking about the “new” things God is doing in our church. There are people seeing God like they never have before. Some are getting involved with ministries they have wanted to serve in for some time. Some are stepping away. Others are struggling with changes in our Sunday morning services. All of these firsts can evoke the same kinds of fears.

So what fears are you facing? If not you, do you know someone who is mightily struggling with some “first”? Be filled with courage yourself and pour it in to others as we walk through these changes together. God has some wonderful things in store for His church. Let’s embrace them together.

Next week?...Revelation and Response.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: