Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Purpose in Pain

Dear Worshippers,

Pastor Myron told me on several occasions that he was praying that February would go quickly and it did. The only problem with that was that I was barely able to keep up with it and by the time I had moved my family here last weekend the stress had obviously become more than my body could handle. When I am under a great deal of stress, my body generally lets me know with a nagging pain in my lower back.

For the last four days I have been a great deal of pain. I have not been able to sleep through the night, very unusual for me, due to its’ severity. I don’t remember a time before when I have been in this much pain. I made that comment to Sarah and she could remember a time when she was.

Each of the times she has gone through labor and delivery she has experienced a level of pain I never have. She said, “The difference was that it was pain that had a purpose.” A tremendous purpose I might say. Each time it produced one of our precious boys.

That got me thinking and praying. God has a purpose for everything we go through. He is very efficient and effective in His dealings with us. I began to wonder why He was allowing me to go through this and He brought several things immediately to my mind.

I do not have boundless energy. I have limits. When I cross them, well-intentioned though I may be, there will be consequences. I am not twenty anymore. [That last one came from the Lord by way of John Grundy. Thanks John]

A big part of the purpose of the stress I have experienced in the last couple of weeks was to get my family here. I had so enjoyed my first four weeks serving and settling into this wonderful church family. I can not express with words the blessing I anticipate for me and my family as we live and love at North Mar. I do not know the extent of it yet, but by faith am believing the Lord for it. Thanks for having us, and for the warm welcome I and now they have received.

Not every time we experience pain are we aware of the specific purpose it is producing. Scripture makes it very clear that there is always something being shaped when we experience pain. “Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” 2 Corinthians 4:16b-17

So that brings me to ask you, “Do you have that perspective on the light and momentary troubles you are facing right know?” God is helping me to deepen my understanding of what He is doing in me through this most recent pain. He wants to do the same in you. I just pray none of you have to feel I like I have to realize God’s activity in your life. I hope these words will help you today as you endeavor to live in a way that brings glory to our Lord. Thanks for your prayers.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: