Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Going Through the Motions

Dear Worshippers,

I want to thank each of you for every prayer, every card, every meal, every call, every visit, every act of kindness that you have showered on me and my family through these difficult days. You have made them easier by showing us the love of Christ through His body. We are still getting to know you and yet you have loved us so well. To God be the glory!

I have had a lot of time to pray and reflect. I have thought about my personal life and relationship with Christ. I have thought about my family and how I cherish them. I have thought about the church and the ministry that has been entrusted to my care. I am so thankful to our Lord for sustaining me through this trial that I might enjoy each of these to a greater degree in the days ahead.

One thing for certain is that this time has disrupted any extent to which I may have been “going through the motions”. You know that feeling of just doing what you know has to be done and making it through the day. Every one of us has experienced some degree of doing something in a mechanical manner indicative of a lack of interest or involvement. Though I have to admit that I did not feel like I had gotten there since I had only at North-Mar for about seven weeks before this happened, this experience has given me time to reflect and try to make some decisions that will keep me from ever getting there.

I want to encourage you to think about this idea of “going through the motions”. This is not God’s desire for us. Jesus said that He came “that [we] may have life, and have it abundantly.” [John 10:10] The mechanical lack of interest or involvement of going through the motions does not lead to the abundant life. It requires a tremendous intentionality that is absent when we are simply going through the motions.

God wants us to give all that we are over to Him so that He can fill us with passion and purpose. If you know that, but are lacking it today, let me encourage you. It does not take a life-altering illness or something as extensive as this to help you break the cycle. You do not have to be at the end of your rope, if you will. You can make the choice to give Christ everything today and everyday no matter what you are facing. Though the following video is about an illness and the effects of it on another Christ-worshipper, I hope you can hear God’s message to you today through it. The words can be found at the second link.

Video: The Motions - Video Lyrics: The Motions

The question appears at the end of the video “What if we really gave everything?” Ask yourself that question, but even more importantly just do it. You can discover the answer as the Lord has His way in you and helps you break the cycle of “going through the motions”. Let go of the rope and experience the paradise of the abundant life Jesus has for you here and now.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement brother. praying for quick and complete healing and recovery.