Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Perspective: From My Hammock

Dear Worshippers,

On Saturday a small band of servants descended on our house. Knowing that I am not well enough to care for all the life that spring unfolds, they had come to help with a number of things outside. May God bless you, our wonderful North Martian friends.

Their work inspired me to get my hammock out. It took my a while to secure the two straps around two trees, but eventually, somewhat exhausted, I was able to recline in the peaceful support of my Mayan hammock, last years Father’s Day present from my boys. It is a great place to pray and ponder, and that’s a big part of why I have longed to get it hung.

Looking up through the trees, I thought of all the Lord has brought me through in this last season. Last Friday was four weeks since what Pastor Myron has called “Black Friday”, the day of my second (emergency) procedure. I continue to learn how serious my condition was, teetering on the edge of life. I praise the Lord for carrying me through and preserving my life. I thank each of you for your prayers.

As I was reflecting on all the Lord is saying to me and how He is changing me I stared through the branches above me. On first glance, they looked dead. No obvious signs of life on the limbs high over my head. But as I began to look more closely, I saw signs of life. Little buds here and there. Some already starting to open. Where there was the appearance of death, life was bursting forth.

I think that is how I looked those first hours and maybe even days following that Friday. It gave me an incredible new perspective on death and life, and the power of our Lord. Perspective is very helpful thing.

Perspective has been defined as “The ability to perceive things in their actual interrelations or comparative importance”. In other words, perspective helps you to see things clearly, as they actually are. This is helpful because we all bring preconceived notions of how things interrelate, assigning importance based on our point of view. But only when we attain the perspective of our Lord do we begin to see things as they truly are.

And so I ask you to join me in this change of perspective. What perspective do you have if you look through your life, as I looked through the tree? Do things look mostly dead? I hope not. Are there signs of life? There should be!

Seek God’s perspective on your life. You may not have a hammock to recline in but there is somewhere you can go to quiet yourself before Him. Ask Him today to show you something that He wants to change.

He who began a good work in you wants to complete it. [Phil. 1:6] I am confident of this, just as Paul was. What change does that require in this season? Will you allow God to do a new thing in you in these days?

He is changing me and let me say it is wonderful and painful. He is also at work in our church changing lives and wants to work in each of us to birth the kind of new life that will help us better declare the grace and peace only available in Him. I know you want to be a part of that. Join me, won’t you?

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: