Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Committed to the Call

Are you Committed…to the Call?

I am certain we will be encouraged tonight as we listen to the Continentals Singers affirm that they are committed to God’s call on their lives. I am certain our spirits will be lifted up as we see a bunch of young people who have given up their summer to serve the Lord. I am confident we will be blessed with the realization that there exist those who will stand in a public place and declare their allegiance to Christ. I know we will enjoy the opportunity to attend a concert where Christ is exalted and His kingdom advanced.

But exactly where will all that leave us? Nowhere, if we do not simultaneously affirm that we are committed to the call.

Whether you can attend tonight’s concert ministry or not I want to ask you to pray about your commitment to the call of the Lord Jesus upon your life. I am not referring to a call to ministry that someone who serves vocationally has heard, but the call to advance the kingdom of Jesus Christ wherever you find yourself, at work, at school, or at play.

This morning in staff meeting we had a stimulating discussion. Pastor Miller asked us what concerns us as we go about our pastoral ministry. He wanted us to articulate in which areas where we are concerned for the church. Several shared very valid concerns, but ultimately in my mind they centered on a commitment to the call. As a church, as individuals, how committed are we to the call, to finishing the work that Jesus gave us to do that we might hasten His return.

Far too often I fear we are not as committed as we should be. Do not mistake my words. We are committed, but to what. Too many things vie for our commitment and attention, our resources and our energies. So many that I think it is often very difficult for us to hear the call, to hear the voice of the One who said of His sheep, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” John 10:27 The problem is not even hearing the call, but following.

What are you not doing that you are confident God would have you do, or that you are certain Jesus has told you to do?

Let us respond in obedience to the call…committed.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: