Tuesday, August 30, 2005

“Prayer changes me and I change things.”

Oswald Chambers was a man who walked with the Lord. In a series of lectures and devotionals he delivered almost 90 years ago he set forth a series of Christian truths that will challenge any reader. Some of those thoughts have been collected and put in a devotional book that has become the best-selling devotional book of all time. It title, My Utmost for His Highest. [The translation of that in his own words, my best for His glory.

Every day when I read Chamber’s words the Holy Spirit quickens my heart with His truth. I have been thinking and talking a fair amount about prayer lately. You may be thinking it is because I want to see some things change. While that is true there is a deeper motivation behind my thinking. Chamber’s gets at it in what he had to say in the entry dated August 28, “The Purpose of Prayer”.
To say that “prayer changes things” is not as close to the truth as saying,
“Prayer changes me and I change things.” God has established things so
that prayer, on the basis of redemption, changes the way a person looks at
things. Prayer is not a matter of changing things externally, but one
of working miracles in a person’s inner nature.

By the way that is exactly what sanctification is, a miracle on your inner nature. And it is that process that I want to encourage to enter into with all your heart. I am asking everyone in the Worship Ministries to read this little devotional one day at a time that we may develop a like-mindedness over this next season as we determine to live our best for God’s glory.

I implore you to include this text into your daily devotions. I am praying God will have His way in us as we live these truths.

I have some copies of this in the choir room if you need one. They are only $4 each.

IN CHRIST,

Pastor Scott

No comments: