Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Join Me In Prayer

Prayer. It was the focus of VBS a couple of weeks ago. It has been much on my mind as we prepare to enter a new season of ministry together. I have been doing it, and I want to ask you to do the same.

In his message Sunday morning Pastor Hawkins took us to John 17. In this passage, Jesus is praying. He prays first for Himself, then His disciples, and finally for all believers. That expanding circle is a good model for us.

You must know that I pray for myself. I often echo Pastor Tony’s quote of that old hymn text in his message a couple of weeks ago, “It’s me, it’s me O Lord, standing in the need of prayer.” I need prayer, and I certainly would entreat your prayers for me and my family.

I also pray for you. This is the second level of prayer as found in John 17. You must know that I view you as disciples entrusted to my care, and that I hold you in my heart. I do that in a corporate sense, but also individually as the Lord impresses needs on my heart. For all of you that have submitted requests to me, please know that I am praying and agreeing with you about the matters you have mentioned. I have seen some answers and am trusting God for more.

Finally, I am praying for the whole church, and then even beyond our local body. I pray for our role in completing Christ’s commission to be fulfilled. I pray that we would be able to partner even with local churches to demonstrate the unity of the body. But these days, that unity for our body is one of my primary prayers. I echo Jesus as I pray, “Make us one.” (John 17:21) I am praying for unity, that we would have a singleness of heart as we glorify the Lord together.

What are you praying for? When you pray for our Worship Ministries, what do you ask the Lord for? When you pray for our church, what is your heart cry? I am asking that God would make us one.

Will you join me?

IN CHRIST,

Pastor Scott

No comments: