Tuesday, August 10, 2010

This Is Heaven

Dear Worshipers,

My family had the opportunity during our recent vacation to spend with our families in West Virginia, where both Sarah and I were born and raised. What a great time we had relaxing, reflecting and reconnecting. I must say there is some truth to the line from the song, “Almost Heaven, West Virginia”. But there was an even more precious mention of Heaven during our time there that I offered me an opportunity to reflect.

Me and the older three boys were visiting Audra State Park one afternoon, enjoying swimming in the waters of the Middle Fork River and the views from the Alum Cave Trail. As often happens with little ones, the five-year old was getting REALLY tired and simply could not walk anymore. [You should know that Josiah was born with club feet and still suffers some of the remnants of that condition, though to the untrained eye there is no noticeable evidence of it. Walking long distances is even more difficult because of this, not to mention he has to take two steps for every one of mine.] He just could not go on any longer, and I finally gave in to his pleading.

Keep in mind, he is five so not a little tike anymore. The prospect of carrying him very far would not be an easy task. It was only a few hundred yards to the car by the time his surrender came so I figured I could probably make it. It was when I conceded to the pain that I heard those dear words.

“This is Heaven.” I had scooped him up in my arms and had only been carrying him about 15 feet when he said them. They melted my heart, even as I agreed with him that this was heaven. With our two-year old Aiden often around, I now rarely carry Josiah, so this was unusually pleasant. He beamed up at me a smile I will not soon forget, along with giving me a moment to cherish for the rest of my life.

What startled me as I reflected on this later was how often we fail to admit our weakness and plead with our Father for some help. I wish I could convey to you how quickly his countenance changed as soon as his little feet sensed the relief. Sure, it was not actually Heaven, but it had to be a little taste of it, not only for him but for me as well. I thought of this verse, which was so dear to me last year during my illness.

Isaiah 46:4
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.


Sure we want to walk one step behind Jesus, but sometimes it would be better if we just let him carry us. We will be blessed in the laying down of the burden. And He will be blessed in the carrying.

Jesus, forgive us for too often trying to carry the load. Give us a taste of Heaven as we turn it over to You.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: