Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Running Toward the Goal

Dear Worshipers,

I am not much of a runner. The comment of my Senior Pastor in Florida resonated with me when he said that since finishing his service as a Marine he doesn’t run unless someone is chasing him. I like being active, but running as a singular pursuit never interested me. I struggled to see the point until recently.

I have been inspired by my wife to be a better steward of my body. She started faithfully working out last fall, and after seeing her resolve and results I started in June. I still do not enjoy running, but I have begun to experience the benefit of a good cardio workout. My favorite is the elliptical machine.

This morning I was not able to get to the gym and really wanted to get in my cardio so I went running in my neighborhood. I did that a few weeks ago when getting to the gym was not possible and pushed myself a little too hard. Did I mention I am not much of a runner? I was a little more careful today, all the way through the last push, so it was a little easier.

That last section was the toughest. I was finishing up my time and was pushing through, but was struggling to overcome the temptation of my flesh to stop. I set my eyes on a street sign about 250 yards ahead and resolved to run to it. Immediately the Holy Spirit brought a verse to mind. “Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead”. [Phil. 3:13b] I was straining indeed. I was trying to forget what was behind.

That scripture just came alive to me in that moment. Later when I had some time to reflect on this I realized how important it is to keep our eyes on this singular pursuit. Paul says just before these words, “One thing I do:” I know many of you well enough to know you do more than one thing. But we all understand what Paul is saying. This pursuit overshadows and envelopes all others.

And what pursuit is that? Pressing on toward to the goal to win the prize. What prize? The prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Now that’s a prize! But it is also a goal.

Do you live with that prize ever before you? Does the acquiring of that prize overshadow and envelope all other pursuits? Do you have lesser goals that are motivating you toward that greater one? What are you “pressing on toward”? Carefully consider your answers to these questions. They guide your daily living.

Jesus, we want press on toward becoming like You. One step at a time, one step behind You. Show the way and we will follow. We come to You. We run to You. Jesus, You are our life.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: