Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How’s Your Hearing?

Dear Worshipers,

Early this morning I had our youngest son Aiden at the doctor to have tubes put in both ears. Everything was surprisingly quick and I marveled at the care that was literally only a few yards away for months. It seemed like only moments before they called me back to the consultation room to speak with the doctor who informed they were finished and everything went very well.

A few weeks before this same good physician had used an analogy that really stuck with me. He said Aiden was hearing as though he was underwater and we were speaking to him from above it. For those of you that have spent any time in a pool lately you can understand the impairment he has been suffering with unknowingly for some time. You might also be able to see where I am going this Tuesday.

At church we have been singing a song that offers this prayer, “Open the blind eyes, unlock the deaf ears, come to Your people as we draw near.” It struck me at some point today that Aiden’s experience is much like some followers of Jesus. They are under the water, and Jesus is above the water speaking to them. As far as they know, they are hearing clearly. Unknowingly, they are living life with a disability that could be easily removed with the right care. Obviously, the right diagnosis is a crucial part of that, but where better to turn than to the Great Physician.

We were ignorant of Aiden’s problem until a physician recommended we have his hearing examined. One thing led to another and finally today the problem was resolved. Many believers are ignorant of their problem. But there is a Physician that wants to examine them and point out his concerns. He is one in the same Physician that can not only diagnose, and treat, but is the only physician responsible for the actual healing that takes place.

So, have you asked Your Physician lately how’s your hearing? This is prompted by an encounter I had with Him Sunday during the Encourage service. After a particularly sweet time of corporate worship I stepped in back and knelt down and asked Him what he thought of all the praising and He spoke something very encouraging to me. I might share that at some point, but my point today is that He wants to speak to all of us, and mostly what he wants to say is what He said to another sweet time of worship in the Engage service, that is how much He loves us.

Ask Jesus today to examine your hearing, and don’t be surprised if He has an accurate diagnosis for you to apply.

Jesus, how’s my hearing? Is there anything I need to do to be able to more clearly understand Your voice? Speak to me and show me any treatments I should embrace.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: