Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Work in Progress

Sunday morning retuning:  What a beautiful picture of God’s work through a faithful servant Val Downs painted for us Sunday!  Thank You Jesus for filling and using this woman to impact lives for Your glory.  Use her words in us to do the same as we continue to learn what it means to “serve our world.”
Is there anything in your life that is started but not yet completed?

I recently discovered that the exhaust fan from one of our bathrooms have been vented directly into the attic.  This is not good.  For years I had wondered why icicles formed at one point on our roof before any other.  I knew there was a problem but felt ill-equipped to deal with it.  It the last few weeks I felt compelled since the weight of the ice formation was pulling the gutter off the front of my house.  I had to deal with this problem.  When I finally crawled up into the attic through our tiny access door in a closet this is what I discovered.

I am ignorant of many things with regard to home care, but I knew this was a problem that needed correcting.  I do like to try to solve this problems when I can though.  There are a number of ways to solve this issue but I chose to vent that exhaust fan into the exhaust from another bathroom fan.  All that to say I found the problem that needed resolved, something had been started, the installation of a bathroom exhaust fan, that wasn't finished.
So let me return to my initial question, is there anything in your life that is started that is not completed? If your answer is no then my conclusion is you are either a weirdo or not being honest with yourself.  Sorry, but I do not think any of us are finished projects.  There is hope in the fact that we know someone who specializes in finishing things.
Allow me to remind you of this verse.

Philippians 1:6 New International Version (NIV)

6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
God has begun a good work in each of us.  He is forming us into the image of His Son.  Unlike the folks who installed my ceiling fan, He will not leave the work unfinished.  The shock to us is the way He chooses to work most of the time, through difficulties and delights, pains and pleasures, every working on us.  The issue is that we are not always thrilled with His methods.  
I was reminded of this as I spoke to someone last week.  I listened as they outlined a myriad of frustrations in their life, but ultimately expressed the faith that God is in control and using it all for their good.  Which reminds me of another verse that tells us God is at work in all things for our good.
God wants to and will finish the work He has started in you, just like I finished the work on that exhaust fan, and even better.  You will turn out much shinier than even the metal tape I used to seal my finished repair job.  And you will be even more effective at fulfilling your purpose, glorifying God than than my vent.  Hallelujah!
Now all you have to do is welcome His work, and join Him in it!  Easier said than done.  Start with this prayer.
Jesus, I want You to finish the work you have started in me.  I make a mess of things sometimes, but I want to ask You to step in and help me clean things up.  I believe You want to and can.  Please do it Lord, that Your glory may be seen. In Jesus name.  Amen.
In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: