Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Are You Listening?

Sunday morning retuning:  So who do you want to be like, Scrooge or Onesiphorus? Generosity is the character quality in question here.  If you were not with us Sunday to hear the sermon you can check it out, along with some other valuable resources here.
If you weren't with us Sunday I'm sorry to say you missed a very powerful moment in worship. I'm referring to the reading Sherry Woods shared.  Though it's not quite as good, this link will at least let you hear what she shared. And this one will help you to see it in context.
As much as I love the experience of that on Sunday, I appreciated the intent even more. The powerful reminder that though we have no words to describe him we must try just the same was a good one.  What words, even carefully chosen and crafted, can adequately describe this one who is indescribable?
As I was reflecting on that today, I was reminded of something I came across last week during a search for new songs.  It was a worship experience crafted to remind us that we need to get better at listening, especially when we consider the value of our words, many though they may be, compared to the value of the one whose words bring life.  It is an introduction, then a song, then a guided prayer time, all underscored.
Listening. It's something I'm not very good more often than I'd like to admit.  It's hard to be quiet long enough to do good listening. When I tried to listen in prayer, I lack the discipline to focus my mind. Still yet, I have firm it is a useful discipline to develop.
Two things you should know before you click the link: 1.You will need 30 minutes of uninterrupted time to make the most advantage of the experience.  2.  You will be encouraged to consider the vastness of our God as revealed in creation by inviting him to fill Your mind with himself.  Oh, and I think you will hear a Jewish cantor at the beginning so be ready for that since it is a very different sound.  If you think you're up to that challenge you can find the materials here.
vapor cover.jpg
If you don't think up to the challenge, I'd like for you to take one minute and honestly ask yourself why? Maybe it's just an issue of time. Boy can I understand that. But I want to encourage her at some point Between now and the next time you gather for corporate worship to take 30 minutes follow these links and be still. I honestly believe you will be astonished at the benefit you receive.
Jesus, thank You for making available to us something of such inestimable value, your presence.  Teach us to be more aware of you in each moment.  Overwhelm us today with your grace.  In Jesus name.  Amen.
In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: