Thursday, April 03, 2014

Sunday’s Coming

Sunday morning retuning: We were each lost and dead in sin, then Jesus rescued us!  What a great reminder these last two Sundays.  When you think of rescue, is there someone who comes to mind.  Have you taken the opportunity to introduce them to the Rescuer?  You know Easter is right around the corner...

Of course, we all know this, but no one better that preachers, including those who lead worship.  Every Sunday is a reminder of a sorts of the most important one, that Resurrection Morn we will celebrate in a couple weeks.  I have felt inclined to approach it in a slightly different way this year.  Let me explain.
I believe that to appreciate the height of the ectasy of Easter, we have to descend to the depths of despair of Good Friday.  This generally leads me to plan a solemn remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice.  While we will remember that again this Good Friday, I want to look ahead to the difference that Sunday’s coming makes even on our bad Friday’s, that is our darkest days of disappointment and failure.
We will watch this video featuring S.M. Lockridge’s classic sermon.  Then I will give us time to ponder what “Friday” each of us is living currently.  We will write that on one side of a piece of paper.  On the other side we will write what we are hoping our “Sunday” will look like one day, believing it can be because of what Christ has done.  We will then nail these to a block of wood at the foot of the cross in faith that what is, is not what will be.
IMG_2127.JPG
You see, it’s Friday, but Sunday's a'comin.
It always has been, and nothing has changed, but I am sensing a need to change the way I am going about it.  It has occurred to me recently that the more planning we are able to do further out from Sunday, the more creative we can be.  If we can find a way to involve more people in this process, the creativity could be effected exponentially.  What might that look like?  I am not sure.  
IMG_2126.JPG
While this was all percolating in my soul, I had a conversation recently with someone about a show at Disney called Fantasmic.  It is a water fireworks light show extravaganza.  They were sharing with me how it really got their creative juices flowing as they marveled at what was required to pull off this techincal, artistic, logistical marvel.  That got me thinking.
What kind of a team of people must be required to pull off such a feat?  How would you even begin to conceive of such a monumental task?  How long would you have to prepare and plan to make it a reality?  In short, it would take a lot of creative, disciplined people a long time get it done.
Though I have no intent on creating our our version of this, Christasmic, it did advance my previous thinking a little further.  I want to involve others in the creative process.  I am not certain what that will look like but I want to explore it.  When you read above what we will do on Good Friday did it stir your creativity?  Do you sometimes have creative ideas to express our worship corporately?  
Will you consider what your role might be in that?  Maybe it is just am imagineer?  But maybe it is a bit more.  Maybe you have been standing in the shadows and you need to step into the light...more on that next week.
Jesus give us eyes to see You all around us.  You are there and we need to see You.  Then give us eyes to see You as we prepare to say goodbye to all this life holds, and hello to what the next does.  Grant us peace, and open eyes.  In Jesus name.  Amen.
In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: