Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Standing in the Shadows

Sunday morning retuning: Are you willing to make eternal investments?  What risk do you need to take this week that could pay off eternally?  Are you willing to take it?

That last bit of snowfall we had, notice I said last, left just a dusting on the ground.  I happened to look out the window of my study and notice this interesting sight.  As the sun was moving across the sky, it was melting away the snow.  Only the snow in the shadows remained.  I snapped this picture and pondered the implications of standing in the shadows…

IMG_2110.jpg


It is cold in the shadows.  You can really feel that this time of year.  Stepping into the sun can change the temperature from cold to comfortable.  So why would we not want to?

It is safe in the shadows.  Some things are hidden, or at least not as exposed. People simply do not know us as well if we stay in the dark.

The choir is singing a song by that contains the phrase “Been standing in the shadows”, describing the disciples in the Upper Room after the resurrection, before they took their stand.  It continues, “Drifting out to sea.  Denying that I know You, denying You know me.  Before the battles started I’m running in defeat, O Lord.”  How often might we be able to say this, mirroring that fear of the disciples?

I think this fear it comes immediately before us when we consider inviting someone to a church event.  I want to ask you to do something bold.  Actually, most of you have already been asked.  Easter is 12 days away.  We have prepared invitation cards to give to people welcoming them to be your guest at our Easter services.  We will boldly and beautifully answer the question “Son of God: Who Is He?”

But that is not the bold thing I am asking you to do.  I have begun to pray that God will double our church on Easter Sunday morning.  Our average attendance on Sundays in March was 898.  Will you pray with me for 1800 people on Easter?  1800 souls, undoubtedly many who can not say they are following Jesus, confronted with the reality of His resurrected glory.

If you are willing to join me, please let me know by replying to this email simply saying “I will pray.”

IMG_2113.jpg


Will you step into the light?

Do you see that gorgeous blue sky?  I want to the clouds to part and the sun to shine down on some unsuspecting souls next Sunday.  Join me in the light, praying.

Jesus help us to lift You up.  You said if we will lift You up You will draw people to Yourself. [John 12:32] Show Your faithfulness and draw them Lord.  We are asking for you to double our church next Sunday as we celebrate Your resurrection.  Bring 1800 people into that sanctuary. In Jesus name.  Amen.
In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: