Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Are Your Eyes Open?

Sunday morning retuning: God showed us His glory Sunday as we remembered the sacrifice of His Son on our behalf.  He wants to show Himself to you today.  Are you eyes open to see Him?

I was walking through my backyard yesterday picking up some fallen branches, some of which had fallen in some tall grass.  As I stepped to pick up one limb I narrowly avoiding walking into a fairly large spiderweb that had escaped my gaze.  I was especially glad that I missed it when I realized there was a pretty funky looking spider with a huge pyramid shaped backside right at face level.  I pulled out my camera to snap a photo of the wonder that almost I almost missed, and almost wore.  Can you see him against the tree bark?



I reflected on that a bit after capturing the photo and wondered how many other things of wonder and beauty I had either missed already today, or at least failed to see them for what they truly were.  I pondered how often God puts something right in front of me, sometimes I even walk right into it, and still fail to grasp the true essence of the experience. I walked back toward the house, and through the rest of my day with a little different perspective.

Toward evening I was out back again putting some things away when the lightning bugs began to glow.  I almost let that moment pass but instead ran into the house to get Aiden, our five year old.  I wish I could have captured the look on his face as he saw his first one glow, then watched as I caught and held one.


Can you remember the first time you held one?  The wonder of that moment is palpable.  Such a simple, small thing, yet what a neat demonstration of God's creative work.  And also how fleeting. Blink and it's gone.  The lightning bug and the moment.


I asked at the top if your eyes are open to see God around you.  I ask again.  But before you answer with a quip of the tongue, ponder for a moment and consider how you have seen His hand today.  If you have not, then I wonder what revelations may have escaped your gaze.  Pray with me for eyes to see the glory of the Uncreated One in our daily lives…and on Sunday morning!

Jesus, give us eyes to see You at work around us.  In the simple and the complex, the small and the large things.  We want to see Your glory.  In Jesus name. Amen.

In Christ,


Pastor Timothy

No comments: