Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Work in Progress

Sunday morning retuning: Conviction and compassion were declared boldly this past Sunday from our pulpit.  Addressing the very real social issue of homosexuality is not an easy thing to do well, but God's Word speaks with clarity and kindness on this issue.  Interesting that the Pope had some things to say about this issue the next day as well.  We need to speak about it, and be careful to ever do so with compassion and conviction.

I have spent quite a few hours this spring developing a very fruitful relationship with an aging friend.  The acquaintance has needed some TLC to keep moving along productively and I have felt compelled to offer it.  A sweet intimacy has grown over time, which has given me a real tenderness toward every broken part that needs attention.  In short, my old Toro Wheel Horse and I have become very close.


I have spent time repairing several components of this machine this spring, starting with the deck that was so rusted there were large holes in it that made it dangerous to use.  I had to replace the belt that drove the blades because it broke that fall.  From there I had to repair the pulley system that drives the blades.  The gas tank leaks so I always run it until it is dry.  Most recently, the mulcher cover broke and I had to figure out a simple fix for that.  It still does a good job mowing my lawn, so I do not even want to think about investing in another machine just yet.


When I finished mowing yesterday and lifted it up on its back wheels to clean the deck, I realized that my fix for the pulley mechanism and fallen apart leaving the pulley loose above the deck.  That will need repaired before next week.  This mower is absolutely a work in progress.


As I reflected on that, it occurred to me that I am too.  The mower gave me a good picture of my fruitfulness to Christ.  Effective, yet ever needing a little attention, care, and even repair.  Jesus is like the ever patient tractor owner who still sees productivity emerging with a little help.  The verse that cmd to mind was "He who began a good work in you carry it on to completion.."  Philippians 1:6
I know what my next repair on my lawn mower will be.  I am also aware of some areas the Jesus is working on my life.  How about you? Do you know where you are broken, or cracked, or leaking?  Where you could use a little TLC for the purposes of being even more productive?  If you can not identify any, please take a minute and ask the Holy Spirit to show you.  Then ask Jesus to do His thing.
help.

Jesus, I know You are not done with me.  Please keep working on me and using me until the day I see you face to face.  In Jesus name. Amen.

In Christ,


Pastor Timothy

No comments: