Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What Kind of Friend are You?

Dear Worshipers,

...there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18:24)

As I reflected on that verse from Pastor Myron’s message my mind trailed off to the only brother I have. He is my half brother from our father’s first marriage. I only spent a few of my adult years near enough to develop a relationship but I squandered that, thinking I would have more time. You may have some things in your life that you figure you will get to eventually. Like me you are hoping for the right set of circumstances to come along. I regret not being more proactive in that brotherhood.

There is a brotherhood in the faith. Many of you have probably experienced a relationship with someone in the faith that was closer than a blood relative. I have invested in some of those relationships through the years. Some friends in Jesus have been very dear to me. I have been a friend to them when they needed it, and they reciprocated that for me at my time of need.

I know this verse from Proverbs to be true because I have personally experienced it. You probably have as well. You may have a close relationship with a friend right now that helps you to know this as well. If you don’t, I want to encourage you today.

Take some time and consider what kind of friend you are and to whom, and determine to be a better one to the people God has placed in your life for that purpose. While you may really need a friend right now, maybe there is someone around you who needs one even more. After looking at yourself, look beyond yourself and consider how you might be the friend that sticks like the one described in the verse. Maybe you need to be the stick-er, and not the stick-ee.

Even if you have that kind of friend right now, or are investing in a friendship to develop it, keep in mind that no matter how close that friendship becomes, Jesus is closer still. Take some more time to develop that friendship. Other friends may disappointment, Jesus never will. Spend some time with Him today...

Jesus, I want to know that friendship with You so that I can mirror it in another relationship in my life. Thank You for being my friend. Help me to be a good friend for Your glory and the good of that person that needs one.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: