Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Looking Forward

Sunday morning retuning: The Williams challenged us regarding faith, commitment and faithfulness. How are you applying this to your walk?

Dear Worshipers,

I have been thinking about vacation times coming up this summer and getting really excited! My high school class is organizing a reunion, one son has a national basketball tournament, another a Cub Scout Resident camp, and some other time spent in my home among the hills all make me look forward to future events. The time of rest and relaxation fill my heart with great anticipation.

So what are you looking forward to? One of our secretaries just got married and it was really fun to watch her anticipate the wonderful event. Maybe for you it is graduation for yourself or a loved one, or some upcoming visit, reunion, celebration, etc. Whatever it is we all have something to look forward to…

Now before you correct me, or begin to become discouraged let me tell you why I say that. I will use one word: Heaven. Now I will use some other words, if you please.

Because of what Jesus did for us on the cross, we have Paradise awaiting us. I am thinking of our Savior’s words to the thief who offered his version of “Lord, have mercy” when he asked, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Luke 23:42 (English Standard Version) Do you remember Jesus response? He replied “…today you will be with me in Paradise."

Have you ever stopped to imagine what that thief must have thought? He obviously had faith to ask the question he did. He had already rebuked the other thief who had joined in the crowds jeering. Was he thinking, “Really? Paradise, today? With you? But I have done nothing to deserve this.”

Neither have we. But we have the same thing, Paradise, to look forward to. So how does that shape your gaze? If you are like me, you think far more of the joys one week, one month away, and set not only your eyes, but your hearts on them. Paul told the church at Colossae, “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” Colossians 3:1-3 (English Standard Version)

Jesus, thank you for securing Paradise for us. Help us to live looking forward to it everyday. It will change us.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: