Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Marking Time

Dear Worshipers,

The battery is dying on my watch. It’s not dead, but it’s dying. How could I tell? I realized the other day that I seemed to be getting a lot done in a short period of time, until I consulted another time keeping device. Much to my chagrin, I was not nearly as effective as I thought I had been.

Even wonder if that is your experience. You are working, but not really certain you are getting as much done as you might think. Maybe you find yourself doing what you are doing, while you are waiting for the right opportunity to really make a difference to come along. In essence, you are marking time. Waiting for the right opportunity.

It makes me think of that song we have heard/sung the last few weeks, but not really. You know, “While I’m waiting, I will serve you while I’m waiting. I will worship while I am waiting. I will not faint. I will move ahead bold and confident. Taking every step in obedience, while I’m waiting.” That one - link. I say not really because this song talks about actively waiting, but passively marking time.

Makes me think of an absolutely great book that I mostly read a few years ago. "Don't Waste Your Life", by John Piper. It is a excellent exposition on living for the glory of God and why. I encourage anyone who wants to think a little more about this to get a copy and prepare to be changed.

But back to my watch. Time was passing more quickly than I realized. This is almost always the case. I want o make my life count. Jesus wants to use me. The Father has planned things for me to do. But am I pursuing those things or my own agenda?

I want to encourage you to ponder this. Am I marking time, waiting for the right opportunity to come along, or is the “right” opportunity the one I find myself in currently? Holy Spirit help me to see.

Jesus, thank You for making a difference in my life. For creating me and recreating me with divine purpose. Use my life to help others see You. Please Lord. I don’t want to mark time, but make the most of mine.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: