Tuesday, October 19, 2010

For Building Up the Body of Christ

Dear Worshipers,

Last week I shared about my excitement in seeing people equipped for the work of ministry. I elaborated on what this equipping looks like in the ministry of worship we share, but I did not explain the rationale for this beyond the fact that it is described as my role as a pastor to equip. Ephesians 4:12b tells us clearly that the intent in equipping is “for building up the body of Christ.”

Over the last few months I have responded to my wife’s inspiration and commitment and have begun working out. A part of this for me has been weight training which I never would have imagined I would do, much less enjoy. I am a novice, but there are some things that I have begun to learn that apply to this principle in Scripture of building up the body.

One thing I have learned is that it is a painful process. In order to build muscle, you have to work it, in effect tearing it down, and then provide the rest and resources it needs to rebuild. I do not think I ever knew this, and if I did I was really ignorant of the implications to my spiritual life.

You see, if the body of Christ is going to be built, it has to get to work, to exercise it’s muscle if you will. This can be a painful process, especially as we are stretched in new levels. But when we are, and follow that stretching with the rest and resources necessary there is a building that takes place. I have seen this principle at work time and time again in my own spiritual life, and the life of the Church. I trust you have as well.

The other thing I have learned is that it is a choice. I can choose not to lift those weights, or once I am comfortable with a certain limit simply stay there and not increase. But then I am maintaining at best and not building. Just to lift the weight at all is a choice, and not an easy one at times. Once it has been done though, and the building begins to take place, it is a very rewarding experience.

Jesus, thank You for building us up, even though that often is preceded by a painful experience. Meet us in the cave and use those experiences to do what the other, more comfortable ones may never have.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: