Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Equipping the Saints for the Work of Ministry

Dear Worshipers,

One of the things that I am most passionate about is equipping saints for the work of ministry. Ephesians 4:12a gives us this job description for pastors and teachers and other servant leaders, “to equip the saints for the work of ministry.”

Though people would understand that someone else would lead for me when I am away, that same someone might ask why another leader would be leading when I am here. After all isn’t it my job to do the leading. See job description in Eph.4:12. The simple reply is no. It is my job to be equipping others to lead, including but not limited to the main leader position.

Equipping means to provide all the tools needed to complete a task. I am working to equip people all around me to do the work of ministry. And not only because the Scripture tells me that’s what I should be doing. There is at least one other obvious reason. Because I simply can not do it myself. There is far more than any one person could ever do.

The responsibility then falls to me to make sure that each leader has all they need to execute the ministry I have entrusted to them. Sometimes I do a better job than other times. The temptation when I don’t do well equipping is simply to do the ministry myself, for on the short term that would be easier. But I am confident my real job is to equip the people of God for the work of the ministry.

So…when you see Gary Montagna leading in my place, or Bill Fleet directing the choir think equipping. When you see Rick Bartunek directing the orchestra in December, or Daniel Young projecting media onto the screens think equipping. When you see a 10th grade bass player and someone who could be his dad singing and leading in worship, think equipping. When you see a young lady painting as an act of worship, or someone directing a drama, or singing a solo, etc. think equipping. Then pray for that person who has stepped out in faith. Then pray for yourself as God calls you to be equipped. Than pray for me as I continue to take risks and equip the saints for the work of ministry.

Jesus, thank You removing our crutches and for taking us to new places to help us trust You even more. You are so good to us. Help us to walk a step behind You until there is nowhere we would rather be.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: