Tuesday, September 22, 2009

His Grace Gets Me Going

Dear Worshippers,

We were focused on God’s grace Sunday, but I want to encourage you to linger with me there a little longer. I think we become so familiar with the grace of God that it looses some of its’ amazing-ness. When something is amazing it is said to “cause great surprise or sudden wonder”. Is that what happens to you when you stop and consider God’s unmerited favor in your life? I have to confess that it is not always the case with me. But it wasn’t always that way.

How I resonate with our second AdventureTruth! His grace gets me going. This is indeed a journey. When I first realized that Jesus was and had been walking the dusty road with me I was amazed. Over time that amazement has ebbed and flowed in and out of my experience. I want to stay amazed. Like I was the hour I first believed.

That’s a quote from a song we sang Sunday, Amazing Grace. [lyrics] “How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed.” I affirm what Pastor Myron declared, “It starts my relationship with Him.” God’s grace got me going on this journey with Jesus. When I remember that night in March of 1992 when I made the decision to accept His grace with tears flowing down my cheeks, I am amazed all over again. There was at least one young man who made the decision to accept God’s grace at the close of this past Sunday morning. Hallelujah!

You need to pray for him that “It sustains [him] on the adventure” as it has sustained you. Look back over the course of your walk with our Lord. Time and time again it was only grace that kept you going. It makes me think of another line from that song, Through many dangers, toils and snares/I have already come./'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,/And grace will lead me home! Grace sustains me.

But it is not just for me. Since “there is a surplus so let’s share it”. Though one line or stanza of the song speaks of this explicitly, the entire song is a testimony to this reality. I might add a stanza for us as we travel with grace on our minds this week, “Since there’s a surplus of the grace my Lord’s made known to me, along the journey that’s He’s planned I’ll share it liberally”.

Be expectant and prayerful. The Lord may present an opportunity for you to share it this week. Be courageous and do it. Even if the person doesn’t seem to hear it, be mindful that there could be someone under a desk…or around the corner…or even in the next room who does.

Jesus, Your grace is enough. It is amazing. Help me share it as I live the adventure You have planned out for me.


In Christ,
Pastor Timothy

No comments: