Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What Can I Give Him?

Dear Worshippers,

On my mind these last few weeks has been this opportunity to bring a gift to Jesus this Sunday night in the service. When Pastor David first shared this idea that Kyle Linscheid first mentioned, immediately the verses from I Corinthians 14:26-40 came to mind. Paul offers instruction there for the orderly exercising of gifts in public worship. He says, “When you meet. One will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in an unknown language, while another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must be useful to all and build them up in the Lord.” Our offering of gifts to Jesus Sunday night I am certain will have that desired effect. I hope you will consider coming and contributing, whether with a song or poem or otherwise.

As I have been reflecting on this theme a poem came to mind by Christina Rossetti, titled “In the Bleak Midwinter”. In my search for the text, I came across a post on YouTube featuring Sarah Brightman singing this text to the traditional Gustav Holst melody. Here is the link to that video to introduce it to some of you, and remind the rest: In the Bleak Midwinter.

We only have the last stanza in our hymnal [The Hymnal for Worship and Celebration, Word © 1986] for some reason. While it is beautiful, it is best understood and appreciated with the entire context of the poem. This was very difficult to find, but I believe is the complete original text. What a gift? Our hearts. I leave you with your Spirit-led reflections.

 
1.      In the bleak midwinter, frost wind made moan, 
        earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone; 
        snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow, 
        in the bleak midwinter, long ago.
 
2.      Our God, heaven cannot hold him, nor earth sustain; 
        heaven and earth shall flee away when he comes to reign. 
        In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed 
        the Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ. 
 
3.      Enough for Him whom cherubim worship night and day,

A breastful of milk and a mangerful of hay;

Enough for Him whom angels fall down before,

The ox and ass and camel which adore.
 
3.      Angels and archangels may have gathered there, 
        cherubim and seraphim thronged the air; 
        but his mother only, in her maiden bliss, 
        worshiped the beloved with a kiss. 
 
4.      What can I give him, poor as I am? 
        If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb; 
        if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part; 
        yet what I can I give him:  give my heart.
  

Let us be mindful as well of those who are aware how bleak midwinter is. There are many in our lives, even in our church, yes even on our shared area of ministry that look at the season we now enjoy with mixed emotions at best. Whether there is family disharmony or outright conflict, a fractured relationship, or simply reminders of the same, many are dealing with powerful and difficult emotions. Let us incarnate Christ to them and so share the peace that the He alone offers. Give Him your heart, and let Him use to in the life of another.

Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: