Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Dear Worshippers,

With the snow falling these last couple of days, I have found myself humming this tune. I even caught Samuel singing it on the way to school this morning as we traveled white-covered roads. The lights are going up all over town, Christmas plans are in full swing, and you can feel it in the air. Christmas is coming. You can see.

As parents of small children, Sarah and I have really wrestled with what Christmas should look like. Presents under the tree can quickly become the focal point of this season that is supposed to be a celebration of the birth of our Savior. How many times are children asked that question during the lead-up to Christmas, “What do you want for Christmas?”

No before you think I am an old Scrooge, you must know that we delight in giving good gifts to our children. What we struggle with is doing so while trying even harder to keep Christ in Christmas. I know this is a universal struggle for every household, so I wanted to write today and encourage you along these lines…

What makes it look like Christmas in your home? For us, it is the nativity at the bottom of a tree decorated with angels. It is the Advent wreath where we try to gather every evening to light the candles and think about Jesus’ coming. It is decorating and going to see Christmas lights which penetrate the darkness and remind us that Jesus did and continues to do just that.

I am certain you have some traditions of your own that make Christmas special. I want to encourage you to enjoy them and the way they point you to the Savior. Maybe there is something new you have wanted to add for sometime and just haven’t. Maybe there is some obligatory thing that you have wanted to stop doing and just haven’t. Purpose to allow your spare moments in this busy holiday season to be filled with Christ. Know that I will be doing the same.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: