Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Love Requires Listening


Sunday morning retuning: So how are you doing at displaying your evidence that you love God, that is by loving your neighbor as yourself?  Not easy, but essential.  Over the next couple of days, make it your aim to act on what God spoke to you Sunday from Luke 10:25-37.  Be a Good Samaritan!

For me, learning to love requires that I be listening to what God is saying to me in my everyday life.  Often these days that is in terms of “giving myself away”, but more on that in another post.  In the last day, the Lord has put two scenarios in front of me through which He spoke.  I want to encourage you through them to be listening to what God is saying to you in the everyday rhythms of your life.

My mom and dad came in town yesterday for a couple of days.  My dad is very knowledgeable in home improvement things so I asked if he could help me install a ceiling fan.  We wired the new switch and box and went to test it and it did not work.  He was befuddled as to what was wrong.  I then realize that I had connected our tester to the hot and ground, instead of the cold, see the white wire not bent.



My take away?  If things do not seem to be working, you better make sure you are connected to your power source.  If you do not sense God’s power in your life, you may want to check your connection, even take the time to do some trouble shooting if necessary.

  Then as I was backing out of my driveway this morning…


Though Sarah had reminded me moments before that my parents car was behind mine in the driveway.  I ran into it anyway.  Fortunately, there was not damage to theirs, but you can see that mine was not so fortunate.  I wish I would have taken a picture of the small pile of rusty metal that fell out of my Civic. 

My take away?  Sure, I probably need a safer car, but my first thought was, how easy it is to forget the obvious, get into my RoUTine and plow through life.  I need to keep my eyes open for the times Jesus is trying to redirect me.

Nothing terribly profound here, but I wanted to remind you to stay connected, keep your eyes open, and listen for what the Lord may be saying to you in the daily doldrums.  He is probably directing you in some way to a deeper walk with Him, and a deeper love for others. Thanks for walking the path with me.

Jesus, we want to follow You.  Help us humble ourselves daily.  Help us to have a healthy fear of You.  By Your Spirit’s power, help us to walk in Your ways and stay close to You, whether You are moving or not.  In Jesus name.  Amen.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: