Tuesday, May 07, 2013

A Taste of Heaven Here


Sunday morning retuning: Pastor Myron laid out our Next Steps as we endeavor to walk one step behind Jesus.  How exciting to think of how God is going to use us in these next three years!  I pray you will be a part of this, as we see God changing lives here and around the world.

As we celebrated Communion a little differently Sunday the choir sang “Behold the Lamb (A Communion Hymn)”. There was a line in it that really hit me, as often does when I am trying to pay attention to the love and truth we declare.  It was this part of the fourth and final stanza.

As we share in His suffering 
We proclaim Christ will come again!
And we’ll join in the feast of heaven 
Around the table of the King.

It was those words “we’ll join in the feast of heaven”.  We get to join in the feast of heaven.  Wow!  I have enjoyed some great meals in my day, but that one is going to be the one that even the best have only foreshadowed.  Besides I really like eating.

But Heaven was already on my mind.  As I was planning the services for this weekend I felt led to schedule “When You Move”, a song we have learned in the last year.  There is a great line in the chorus of that song that says, “For when you move our lives are changed, we know a taste of heaven here.”  A taste of heaven here.  I want that.

It makes me think of times when Sarah is making mashed potatoes and she asks me to taste them.  Every time I do, they are delicious, and I want to scoop out another spoonful because that taste has left me longing for more.  You know want I am talking about right?

So I was in the kitchen cooking up some eggs this morning (you are sensing the strong food theme here I hope), and I was thinking of heaven because I had been listening to Steven Curtis Chapman’s song See.  He wrote this after loosing his adopted little girl.  If you listen to nothing else today, please listen to this.  One day we will see.

I asked my son Josiah, “Do you think heaven will be better than this?”  He responded immediately, “Yes!”  That childlike faith blessed me and challenged me again with the question. “Why do we not think of it more often?”  I can hardly wait to see it, and the One who made the way for me to be there.  How about you?

Jesus, we cry out for more of You.  Come and move in our midst that we might be changed and know a taste of heaven.  Show us Your glory.  In Jesus name.  Amen.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: