Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Of Ceiling Fans and Mundane Tasks

Sunday morning retuning: So how are you doing at developing your Mary heart in your Martha world?  Are you learning to live you life in Jesus in spite of all the distractions of life?  While not easy, but learning to do so is necessary.  

For those of you who were with me last week and have been wondering if I left those bare wires hanging out of my ceiling, be at rest knowing I did not.  Last Tuesday between writing my Tunings and rehearsing with our worship team for Sunday, I completed the installation of the fixture that is powered by those wires.  Here’s proof.



As I reflect on the timing of said installation, it is interesting to me that I completed it between the two aforementioned activities, writing and rehearsing.  There were some other more mundane activities which I did not mention wedged in around those two, but let me just use those two as a point of reference for the purposes of applying what we saw and heard in Luke 10:38-42 Sunday.  [For those who were not with us, that is the story of anxious Martha and worshipful Mary.] 

You see, you might be tempted to think of the worship team rehearsal, and maybe even the writing of the Tunings, as more worshipful activities than the installing of a ceiling fan, but I want to caution you.  Jesus indictment on Martha was not that all her activities could not be worshipful, but that they apparently were not, and that Mary had chosen a better posture, at His feet, more than a better activity.  As we were reminded on Sunday, Jesus is the needful or necessary thing.  The challenge in application is discerning how to deal with apparent distractions of life, and there are many.

As Pastor Scott challenged us, we have to say no to some things, but other things demand a yes.  Take the following for instance.  Can you tell me what YES this is?



We need to figure out how to say yes and then practice the one needful thing in a vast array of activities, like laundry, and lawn mowing and etc.  Pray regularly for the grace to see Jesus in the midst of the mundane yesses of your daily life. 

Jesus, we want to learn to live in You in the midst of a distracting world.  Teach us how to maintain a worshipful heart in the midst of the mundane moments of our lives, as well as the distracting, exhilarating, terrifying, hilarious, etc. ones.  In Jesus name we ask these things.  Amen.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy


No comments: