Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Receiving Your Crown

Sunday morning retuning: Have you been “bothering” your Father the last couple days?  You can’t really do that remember? [Luke 11:5-13]  Go to Him with bold, daring and persistent prayers.  He loves to answer.
I like to think about eternity and heaven.  God has put a longing for more that our eyes can see and our minds can imagine.  [Ecclesiastes 3:11] I have often said, and I think the Bible bears it out, that every good this in this age is but a shadow of something better in the one to come.  I had one of these tastes of heaven happen to a friend of mine over the weekend and it reminded me of that conviction I hold.
I am proud to say that I know personally Miss Ohio 2013, Heather Wells.  Not only that but Heather has used at North-Mar the very talent that she exhibited at the Miss Ohio pageant.  Here is a little taste of it, self-choreographed to Alabaster Box, by Gospel recording artist Cece Winans.
Another friend relayed to me an interview they saw where Heather was explaining why she chose this song.  Though I was not able to locate that, I am certain it was similar to why she has used that talent at North-Mar, to bring glory to Jesus, and so she does.  She is outspoken about her faith and a song like this at this moment communicates that beautifully.

It was neat to watch this clip of her crowning on Saturday evening.  She has worked long and hard to prepare for this moment and her mom and grandmother have prayed for her and supported her all along the way, but you can hardly be ready when the moment finally comes and this incredible honor is bestowed upon you, deserving or not.  Did you see her point to the skies and say “Thank You”?  That was precious.  Heather enjoy this remarkable achievement and God bless you as you prepare for the Miss America pageant!
But what does this have to do with my heart being tuned to give God praise?  I am glad you asked.  For those of us who are trusting in Jesus, we have a crown in store for us.  Did you know that?  Paul says so in 2 Timothy 4:8, my second favorite book. Unlike the lost list of things Heather had to do to prepare for her crown, did you see the only requirement Paul mentions for those who will receive this crown?  Longing for His appearing.  Sounds easy right?  But it requires a singular focus which is sometimes very difficult to maintain.
Cultivate a longing for His appearing and the age it will usher in…and look forward to receiving your crown!
Jesus, help us to long for you, and the day when we will receive our crown because we did so.  We love you and can hardly wait for that day to come.  Amen.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: