Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Savior AND Lord

Sunday morning retuning:  Pastor Myron Daum took us to Luke 20 where we saw clearly the struggle of accepting Christ’s authority for those to whom He preached.  It is not easier for us.  What’s your next step as you think about confessing Christ as your authority? If you are not sure, maybe you will discover it here.
As Pastor Myron preached Sunday asking if we were willing to make Jesus our personal authority, I was struck by two words.  Savior and Lord.  Let’s be honest, the first one is much easier to swallow.  If we look honestly at ourselves, most people would admit at the very least that they need some help dealing with the mess they have made of their lives, but asking for someone to come in and run things is another matter.
I've been asking myself the last couple of days, "Am I willing to let Jesus be my authority?"  For those of us who say were following Jesus, this is such a crucial question to continue to ask ourselves. Why? Because it's so easy to drift.  The natural course of life pulls us to make decisions on our own, which leads us away from asking Jesus for His guidance.  I must remain diligent at acknowledging His authority.  

I have been thinking about it in terms of Jesus being my boss.  Of course, He is the most gracious boss ever, but He has a task for me to do.  He has a grand plan of redemption that is unfolding through my life and yours.  Am I willing to bring all of my energy and resources to bear on this singular ask that overshadows and informs all others?

As I was reflecting on this just this morning the Lord reminded me of Matthew 28:18-20. You know this to be the Great Commission, but the Lord reminded me that it starts with His acknowledging that “all authority on earth and in heaven has been given to [Him]”.  The task He has given carries with it the authority to accomplish it.

As we think about loving, growing and serving-our words for completing the Great Commission-let's remember under whose authority we are and by whose authority we labor.  As I watch the leaves fall from the trees even now I'm reminded that they fall, each one of them, by the authority of Jesus Christ. There is nothing that escapes His dominion.  He cares about, is in, and ultimately controls every detail, holding it all together as it says in Colossians 1. It is imperative that we keep this reality a constant in all of our actions, thoughts and words.  As I think about my life, I need to remember every day that He is in charge, so it would serve me well to ask Him what He wants me to do.  But what I do is not the only thing through which I must acknowledge His authority.  What I say is important as well.

Romans 10:9-10 reminds us that we must confess that “Jesus is Lord”.  And I believe this goes further than just saying those words, though it certainly includes that.  My speech must declare this singular truth consistently.  I am not in control, Jesus is.  Out of the mouth the heart speaks, Luke 6:45, so it really begins with my choosing to acknowledge Him as Lord in my heart.  Are you acknowledging Jesus as your authority?

Jesus, help me to acknowledge Your authority in my heart, my words, and my deeds.  It is not always easy, and sometimes I forget, but I want to.  Help me please.  In Jesus name.  Amen.
In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: