Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Next Step

Sunday morning retuning: After some stories from the Dominican Republic from our guest Rick Romano, Pastor Myron issued a strong challenge, “What is your next step?”  The question was not is there a next step for each of us, but WHAT it is.  Maybe you made a commitment Sunday, or maybe you are still listening to where Jesus wants to lead you to take that next step.  I pray for you who are reading this that you will allow the Spirit to give you the courage to take it, wherever He leads!
So can you answer that question?  “What is your next step?”  Honestly, as we are following Jesus, we should be, in some measure constantly asking Him where it should be.  Sometimes He leads us to march in a particular direction and we can see a significant part of the journey before us.  Sometimes not.  Even still, we should keep asking where to put our foot next as we...




I once heard that word from Matthew 28:19 could more accurately be translated, “As you are going…”  That really resonated in my spirit.  As I am going, wherever I happen to follow, I need to be about God’s business.  This speaks of the constant motion and change that I believe must characterize the normal Christian life.  On that note, let me change directions.

What is our next step as we move forward together one step behind Jesus in our Sunday morning Engage services?  There has been an obvious stirring over the last month and a half as many have commented on the moving of the Spirit of God.  I am tempted to want to contribute this feeling to any number of single factors, or the cumulative effect of them, but I am trying to guard my heart. We are following Jesus, and I am really enjoying where He has us on Sunday mornings, but as is my penchant I am asking the question, “What’s next?”

I do not ask for the sake of novelty.  I do not ask because I am afraid we will lose this feeling.  I do not ask because I am concerned how people will react if this collective sense of God’s presence changes.  I ask because I want to follow Jesus by loving Him well and helping His people do the same.




We have used this image in the past to help us visualize the idea of following Jesus.  I like it in part because it pictures Jesus on the move.  I think our tendency is to say, “Jesus, this place is nice could we just stay here with you awhile.”  And though I think there are times He graciously says “Yes.  Let’s stop and rest and enjoy each others company.” I think there are also times when Jesus would gently urge us, "I know this place is nice but we are headed to a better place. Come with me. “

Though we know this is true ultimately with the place He's preparing for us in heaven, I wonder if we are equally willing to accept the fact that there are better places with Him here on earth than we have currently experienced. Of course not all of those are geographical references either.
Where we are on Sunday mornings right now is a really nice place.  But what if Jesus is gently saying to us, "I have a better place just down the road. Will you come with me?"  Are we willing to keep moving with Jesus, or do we like the place we are right now too much?  I really like where we are, but I want more.  I have enjoyed the last six weeks or so, but I want more of the Spirit, more Jesus, more of His glory.  Don't you? Then let's take the next step.
Jesus keep me on the move. As we are moving, help us to continue to take others  with us, that  your kingdom may grow in our hearts and through our lives every day in every way as we take each step, always one behind you.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy


No comments: