Thursday, January 17, 2013

Show Us Your Glory, Expanded


Sunday morning retuning: So we will spend the next four weeks focusing on the middle name of the C&MA, that is Missionary.  Giving, praying, going, and ,sending, but not necessarily in that order.  From this first Sunday the question...Are you willing to make a Faith Step with regard to Missions Giving?

Thinking about going?  Moses was in Exodus 33, the passage I opened up last week and have been meditating on since then.  How appropriate since we are hearing about going, ie. missions, these next few weeks.  Interesting how God seems to do that when He really wants to get our attention, isn’t it?

So in this passage we find God telling Moses to lead Israel into the promised land.  Moses says something that should characterize our every response to God’s leading.  “If Your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.”  [Exodus 33:15]  How often are we willing to go whether or not God goes with us.  As we are asking God where he is leading us next we much acknowledge our dependence on Him.  We could learn a lot from Moses here.

After asking how anyone will know God is pleased with them if His presence does not go with them, Moses asks the question that we must ask ourselves on Sunday mornings especially, but every day as well.  “What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”  What is that distinguishing factor?  God’s Presence.

The Lord assures Moses He will do what he has asked, then Moses makes the request He has been leading up to.  “Now show me your glory.”  Now I ask myself, he has already been on this mountain with God for some time, received the Ten Commandments, gone down, and come back up again.  He has been speaking with God.  Yet he asks to see His glory.

What is it about God that Moses is aware He has not yet seen?  What more could he want?  I do not know.  The story goes on the describe how God was going to honor Moses request, yet does not record the moment it was fulfilled.

What a bummer!  But what words could convey that encounter?  As we sang, “All I Have is Christ” Sunday, the Lord revealed something of the all-sufficiency of Christ to me.  I tried to convey that to a friend today but could not really find the words.  If you have encountered the glory of God, you know what I am talking about.  and you want more of it, just like Moses.  You can also understand why I am asking you to join me in praying for God’s glory to be revealed in our worship services.

I warned you last week and I am asking now if you will on every Wednesday, and whenever else the Lord prompts you, join me for this next year in this simple prayer.  “Show Us Your Glory” If you will, please reply and let me know.  I will add you to a list and pray for you to keep that commitment.  I want to plead with God for His presence.  Will you join me?  This is your chance.

Jesus, show us Your glory.

Here is a great song to encourage you in that prayer.  Open Up the Heavens.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: