Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Stopping the Flow

Sunday morning retuning:  So what was your fill in the blank?  “Jesus, I’m in pain with ________.  Help me!”  Continue to invite Him to do so.  He loves you!!

We were listening to something as a staff earlier today that really had an impact on me. So much so that I wanted to share it with you, believing full well it will have an impact on some of you as well.  Here it is:

Spiritual disciplines are more rightly viewed as anything that stops the natural flow of sin in your life.

When I have thought of spiritual disciplines, I have always thought in terms of prayer, bible reading/memorizing, worship, etc.  Not only that, but I have thought of them in terms of making me a better, stronger Christ-follower, not in terms of stopping the flow on sin.  And so I have often struggled with what I understood were the excepted norms of spiritual disciplines without the ability to understand part of why.

I have talked for years about worship being a way of life, or a lifestyle.  Worship is not something we do as much as a they way we do it.  When we worship Christ as a way of living, everything we do is bent in this direction.  I have often quoted 17th century monk Brother Lawrence who was responsible for the wisdom of The Practice of the Presence of God and I believe was a cook in a monastery said something like “I slice carrots to the glory of God.”

That phrase has resonated with me across the years but I have seldom heard someone echo it.  This idea of stopping the flow of sin in our lives, could just as certainly be stated as directly the flow of our lives to praise.  You see, that is what God has called us to in Christ, living our lives “in a manner worthy of the gospel”. [Phil 1:27]  In this way, anything that stops the flow of sin, or starts the flow of praise, can be viewed as a spiritual discipline, in my humble estimation.

Do you see where I am going with this?  Tonight, when I kick the soccer ball around with 7-year old Josiah, that can be a spiritual discipline as I demonstrate the love of the Father to my son, and stop of the flow of potentially otherwise self-centeredness.  Don’t mistake what I am saying, I could do that, or ANY other thing for that matter, in a way that does not glorify God, or stop the flow of sin, but I will make the conscious choice, I will discipline my mind, to show Christ to my son in that moment.

What will you do today to stop the flow of sin in your life?  Read the Bible, play soccer, or something else.  May God bless your increased awareness of Him as you do.

Jesus, help me and my friends know you better as we stop the natural flow of sin in our lives and live in a manner worthy of the gospel.

In Christ,
                      
Pastor Timothy

No comments: