Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Was the Choir THAT Good?

Sunday morning retuning: Only Jesus can save me! Yet how often am I guilty of trying to save myself. Let us be quick to marvel the cross, and trust in Christ’s finished work there to allow Him to completely to identify with all I face as I try to live surrendered to God.

I received this in a text two weeks ago Sunday. It was in reference to the anthem the choir presented in our services that morning. The short answer in my hear t is “No!” the choir was not that good. God was!

There was clapping and a standing ovation at the end. I understand the standing happened spontaneously part way through the song. Though I can not know people’s hearts, I want to believe they were responding to the way the Lord was revealing Himself in those moments.

Did the choir sound good? Sure. Was the duet well done? Absolutely. Was it a great song to begin with? You bet. But the underlying issue was simply that God choose to show Himself to us in a very clear way in those moments.

God is always present with us. He told us He would never leave us or forsake us. [Deuteronomy 31:6] He told us He would inhabit the praises of His people. [Psalm 22:3] We know He is always with us.

But there are times when we are more aware of His presence. When God revealed Himself at Sinai. [ Exodus 19:18-20] When Solomon dedicated the Temple. [2 Chronicles 7:1] When the Spirit was given at Pentecost. [Acts 2:1-4]

I pray there will be more times when we are clearly aware of the unmistakable, life-changing presence of our God. I firmly believe there will be. But even when we are not as aware collectively of His presence, may we still believe that His power is at work in our midst.

Jesus is only a step ahead of us, though at times we are tempted to go astray and other times we simply doubt He is really there. Stay close and expect to sense Him at every turn in the road, both individually and corporately. I know I am.

Jesus, cause us to be overwhelmed by Your presence sometimes, and in the other times give us faith to trust You are equally present. Our eyes are on You.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: