Tuesday, September 20, 2011

So That

Sunday morning retuning: I trust in You. Four little words we sang on Sunday, one big implication. This is a life altering statement. No matter what comes your way, keep believing that “Nothing is impossible for [God].”

No, I did not mean to say, “So what”. Occasionally words from the Scripture jump off the page at me. I hope you have had this experience. If not, keep reading and praying for the Holy Spirit to open your eyes and you will.

We are studying humility as a staff in our weekly gathering. Today’s material took us to 2 Corinthians 12:1-10. The second part of verse nine is what drew my particular attention, “I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”

I have read these verses before. I probably have even heard sermons preached from them, but the Holy Spirit really got my attention with those two words, “so that”. I will not speak for you but I confess that I want, I need Christ’s power. Oh, that it would rest on me, as the Amplified Bible puts it, “pitch a tent and dwell” on me. I want His power, His presence, His person.

So…how can I ensure that? By boasting all the more in my weaknesses. Does it seem as simple to you as it did to me this morning? If I will boast in my weaknesses, Christ’s power WILL rest on me. That’s what the Scripture says, right? Simple, right? Not really.

Why? Because that rails against my flesh. Cover up my weaknesses, ignore or deny my weaknesses, despise my weaknesses more likely. But boast in my weaknesses. Are you kidding me Paul. No, you are not. OK. Now I have a decision to make.

Do I want Christ’s power to rest on me? Absolutely. Then I MUST boast in my weaknesses. Lord, I am weak, frail, selfish, arrogant, mean, disrespectful, controlling, etc. Christ, may Your power rest on me to make me a useful servant to the glory of Your name.

Jesus, thank You for Your grace. I believe it is sufficient for me. I will boast in my weaknesses because I am desperate for Your power to rest on me.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: