Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Earth is His Footstool

Sunday morning retuning: How are you serving our world this week in a way that provokes questions about Jesus?

At Your Feet

Verse 1
Oh that I may know You
Oh that I may worship
Oh that I may bow down at Your Feet
All I have to offer
All I have to give You
Everything I lay here at Your Feet

Chorus 1
Let my sacrifices
Let my heart of worship
Let the praise I lay here at Your Feet
Be a holy fragrance
In this sanctuary
Only You are Worthy of my praise

Bridge
I worship I worship
I worship I worship You Lord

We have been singing this song over the last few weeks. There have been some lines that have become really meaningful to me, as I am sure is the case with you on certain songs that we sing. For me, a week ago Sunday, the line “Only You are Worthy of my praise” really hit me. We were enjoying a wonderful encounter and then God showed me a bit of His glory in this line.

When we are singing, let God speak to you. Worship is a dialogue. It is not just our talking to Him. Though you know this, be willing to receive the things He is impressing on you as we share that experience together each week.

Also be willing to think critically about the things we sing. Do not just accept them because they are on the screen. Make sense of them, and when you can not, ask someone to help you.

I have been thinking about the apparent spatial limitations to this song. You would pick up on this in the line “in this sanctuary”. So are we really only singing about what we offering as we stand in that space on Sunday morning? I think not. Yes, there, but certainly everywhere. Rather than an Old Testament temple mindset of God dwelling between the cherubim, think of it in the context of Isaiah 66:1-2.

“ 1 This is what the LORD says:
“Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me?
Where will my resting place be?
2 Has not my hand made all these things,
and so they came into being?”
declares the LORD.

So if earth is His footstool, that means that everywhere we go we are “at His feet”, right? And if everywhere I go I am at His feet then I can offer my worship anywhere, right? I can not speak for you, but I want to know Him at the grocery store. I want lay everything down at his feet when I am with my family at the park. I want my sacrifices, my heart of worship, the praise I lay at His feet when I am at home relating to my wife and kids to be a holy fragrance in THIS sanctuary.

Do you see where I am going with this? I am out to lunch or is this resonating with you? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Challenge mine if they need it. Affirm them if you like. Let’s continue to position our heart, soul mind and strength to worship!

Jesus, show us how to stay at Your feet. Help us to see you as holy, high and lifted up. Pour out Your power and love and help us to worship You.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: