Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Understanding Worship

Dear Worshippers,

I have been praying these last couple of weeks about Sunday School on July 20th. I will be the teacher that morning for the combined class as we continue through a short course one our Core Values of worship. Pastor Andy Hawkins did a great job getting us started Sunday and I am looking forward to continuing the journey this weekend. I want you to join me in more ways than one.

First of all, pray with me. Worship can be such a divisive issue, and has been to some extent in our church as well. As we consider the transition that our pastoral change brings, there is some question as to what will happen with the direction of our corporate worship as well. This is a good time for us to expand our understanding and experience of corporate worship, and for that reason is a great time to consider these truths.

What I want to ask you to pray about with me is this: That this encounter with God through His word would broaden our concept of how we respond to God when we are together. We could approach this thinking that we are going to nail down what worship is and how we are going to do it, but rather what I am praying would happen is that each of us would embrace the opportunity to connect with God is a fresh way through our collective adoration.

Second, come. You each play a role in modeling worship in our services. You also play that role wherever and whenever the Lord leads you as a part of this body. Your presence in these classes will be instructive for you as a worshipper, but will also have a profound impact on your ability to lead as well, both during the class and afterward. The point here is transformation, not information.

My title above is a lofty goal, but it is also my call and my life’s pursuit. I am thankful to each of you who partner with me to nurture worship as a lifestyle. Will you continue to sincerely give yourselves over to God in response to His self-revelations? I am excited about what the future of our worship collectively will look like if we labor to this end. We will see the presence and power of the Almighty in remarkable ways. Pastor Jack Hayford put it this way, “Where worship is released, God’s presence comes to dwell, and where God’s presence abides, there will be power.”

I pray we understand that more and more as we experience the presence and power of God in our worship.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott


No comments: