Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Holy Spirit

Dear Worshippers,

Thank you for your expressions of kindness and prayers as we have become a family of six since my last entry. John Aiden and mom are both doing well. Aiden comes from the A in A.W. Tozer and John is a special name to us for a number of reasons. You can ask me sometime if you are curious. Tozer was a man anointed by God’s Spirit for a powerful ministry that is still shaping lives today. That is my prayer for Aiden as we are going to call him by that name, but it is also my prayer for each of us.

I hope that you are as excited about Pastor David’s current series as I am. What a wonderful question: “Is Jesus is You?” Pastor has been laying out the scripture to help us accurately answer that question. I hope you can declare an emphatic, “YES! Jesus is in me!”

I was talking with Kyle Linscheid about this series. Teaching and preaching on the practical daily ministry of the Spirit are not common in today’s church. Some churches teach a fiery encounter with Him that manifests in miraculous ways, while most neglect Him all together. Some talk about Him as a force, referring to Him as it. Not so in our church.

We are so blessed to be a part of a movement that still talks about and teaches about the role of the Holy Spirit in the daily life of the believer. From it’s very inception, the Alliance has been a group of people interested in the “deeper life”, a life marked by the presence of Christ. “Is Jesus in You?” points us right back to that foundation, while also asking us about His filling TODAY!

I have so enjoyed Pastor David’s series thus far, but I am also looking forward to the balance of it, beginning this Sunday. How does the Spirit lead us? How do we learn to sense the prompting of the Spirit? How do we discern His will for our lives, both today and in the future? Come Sunday expecting to be empowered to answer that question with even greater conviction. I know I will be.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: