Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Changes

Dear Worshippers,

Earlier this year I made a comment to the choir as I was evaluating my life and this ministry we share. I said something like, “Having been here five years, looking five years into the future I do not desire to be doing the exact same things in the exact same ways.” While it could be interpreted simply as a longing for any sort of change, it was really a cry to experience the deeper life in Christ in an ever-increasing measure. With Pastor David’s resignation on Sunday I am all but assured of doing some things differently five years from now, but I hope the deeper longing to be realized through those changes.

I am determining in these days to embrace what God wants to do in me and our church. I am willing to change, to be, to do whatever He wants that I might more effectively live the Call. That’s what Pastor David is modeling for us in his own way through this transition, and that’s what I believe God is calling each of us to do in the weeks and months ahead.

So what about you? As you deal with all the feelings that you have in response to this revelation are you determined to do so in a way that will glorify the Lord. Are you willing to change to be more like Christ? As I have said many times before, the Christian life is ultimately a life of change. No Scripture captures that better than Romans 12:1-2.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Did you see the change words in there? Transformed and renewing. If there is anything that we must be careful to do in these days of transition as a church, we must be willing to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. This starts with a clear view of God’s mercy and ends with a clear understanding of His will.

Embrace the change that awaits us as the Lord leads in these exciting days.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: