Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Stay On Mission

Dear Worshippers,

I mentioned last week two challenges that were affirmed in my heart over and over again at District Conference the week before. I would like to take the next couple of weeks passing them along to you. I hope they will stir your heart in some measure as they surely stirred mine.

The first was, in my words, Stay on Mission. This seems pretty straightforward. Do what you are supposed to do and do not be distracted by a myriad of other passions and pursuits you could cultivate. Our mission is clear. “Go into all the world and make disciples of all nations…” Matthew 28:19-20. That’s the mission part, but how do we stay on it.

You know the old adage that goes something like, “If you aim at nothing, you will certainly hit it.” That is part of what comes to mind here for me when I think about staying on mission. I have to have the completion of the mission ever before me if I am going to be a part of helping fulfill it. So I ask myself some questions.

How is this mission before me? Am I praying about it? Am I giving of my resources [time, treasure, talent] to see it completed? Do my thoughts and passions reflect that the completion of the Great Commission is at the front of my mind, or even on it at all? Does the plight of the lost concern me, or does the sheer size of the task of finding them paralyze me?

I want to encourage you to take a few minutes and answer these questions. Make it a matter of prayer. I intend to.

Although it is essential to consider my personal investment, it is not enough to be committed to the task. I must be empowered for it as well. One of the saying we have used in the past few years to describe ourselves begins like this. Ordinary people. Empowered by an extraordinary God. Consider with me the source of that empowerment as we take a look at the other challenge I received at District Conference.

Next week…Be Filled With the Spirit.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: