Tuesday, May 08, 2007

A Pilgrim’s Prayer

Dear Worshipers,

We are only a few weeks away from beginning work on another combined work with community churches. We will celebrate America, honor our heroes, and exalt Jesus Christ. I am delighted to be a Suncrest United Methodist Church this year where my good friend Lya Stroupe is the Music Director. What a joy to work with her and others who love the Lord, and want to find ways to express that together. I am really looking forward to being at the Drummond Chapel campus of Suncrest UMC with their folks and many from other churches on the afternoon of July 1st.

I am also looking forward to being in some public venue on July 4th. And that is the matter of prayer that I bring before you again. I have been on a pilgrimage over the last several years to see our perspective on America being shared in a public venue. It has taken me through some turbulent waters, and I have learned a lot about the faithfulness of our God along the way. This year is no exception.

I have been in contact with the Chairman of the Celebration of America Committee for months. We have dialogued at length about the possibility of sharing a musical as a part of the community celebration. He has heard the work we are planning to share this year and has reviewed it with officials of BOPARC. We are being told again what we have been told before: that our Christian message is not appropriate for this setting particular because of the references to Jesus Christ.

Here is where things get difficult. I believe we have a right to freedom speak our views in the public forum that has been created on July 4th. There are others who do not share this view. They need to be convinced otherwise.

This is what I am asking you to do. PRAY. Ask the Lord Jesus to give us a platform to declare His mercy over our community. Ask Him to open the necessary hearts and doors to ensure that can happen. Ask Him to change this situation.

He can do it. I am believing that He wants to do it. Will you believe that with me and go before Him with me until He does it, or changes my heart?

Thank you for partnering with me. Let us build His kingdom and not our own. Let us decrease so He may increase. Let us trust Him to move in these days and give us favor.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott


No comments: