Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My Shield, My Portion

Dear Worshipers,

The Lord has promised good to me. His Word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures.

I finished last weeks “Tuning” asking for your prayers and I have felt them. I know many of you are praying and we appreciate all your concern for us. Our hope is secure in God’s Word which many of you are living out before us.

The words above are on my heart as I write today. I am hoping in the goodness promised to me – and my family – in Christ. I have experienced God as my shield and portion time and time again in this life, but am looking for Him to Him to protect and provide in this situation. Of course, we desire to be shielded from all harm, but even if pain comes, He will give us the strength needed to persist and prevail.

I asked Samuel on the way to school today what he felt the Lord was saying to him about the “bubble” [cyst] he had removed last week. After some thought, he responded, “Some good, some bad.” When I asked him what he meant by that he replied, “Well, if what they took out was bad, it was good if they got it all out.” WOW! Even if there was bad God can make it all good. Amen.

Just as I was thinking I would rather not be facing these uncertainties, I was reminded of those which others are facing. Many of you will remember Lya Cartwright Stroupe, the pianist from the last two patriotic musicals. She lost her son Ian in the spring to a congenital heart defect, after having lost the previous year had lost her father unexpectedly during the production of the musical. Now she has learned that her mother has liver cancer. She asked me for prayer in a recent email and admitted she is angry with God.

I called her to assure her that I would be praying for her. Will you join me? Pray that Lya will see God as her portion in these days. I know she feels as though God has failed as a “shield”, which He hasn’t, but I am praying that He will show her first that He is sufficient for all that she and her mom are facing in these days.

I know that some of you are facing difficulties right now. I am praying for those of which I am aware. I pray that you too will know God is your portion. He will give you everything you need to keep on until He calls you home.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looking for lya cartwright. she's an old friend and I'm trying to get in touch.
Dr. Sherri Guilliams Turner turnersg@vt.edu