Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Involved in Discipleship

Dear Worshipers,

I was having a conversation last night with our Head Elder Don Oliver about the Children’s Missions Musical from the night before. It was a little rough in some places, for those of us who knew it inside and out, but overall it went very well. He was encouraging me with words conveying what a fine performance it was. I praised the Lord and thanked him for his encouragement…then I just kept talking.

It was one of those moments when you fell like you are watching yourself from outside your body, the occurrence seems so strange. I began to wonder why I was saying what I was saying. Then I realized it was because I needed to be reminded that these things are so much bigger than 45 minutes of musical entertainment.

You see, I said to Don something like, “It really did go well. But you know the encouraging thing to me is that as much as those in the congregation enjoyed it, I am much more excited about the fact that the kids were changed by it. Learning and memorizing something of this magnitude has an immeasurable effect on a person, young or old, and though that can not be measured today, I am confident it makes a difference in their souls as they sing these truths like “We’re Blessed to Bless Again” and “Everyone can give a gift of simple things”. But none of it would ever happen if they had not chosen to be involved.

It occurred to me again in those moments that this is really about discipleship. We use music to see Christ formed in the people of our church, and particularly those involved in the Music and Worship Ministries. The is really all about becoming like Jesus.

And so my challenge to you today is this? [Come on, you knew one was coming eventually. Sometimes it just takes me longer to get to it.] What are you choosing to be involved with? Where are you allowing yourself to be formed in the image of Christ? How is Jesus being poured into your life as you faithfully pour yourself out?

If you struggle to answer that question, get involved! Find a place of ministry and commit it to the Lord, as He leads. If you answer the question easily, but are struggling with the commitment, reexamine it once again. Maybe it is time for you to move on to something else. If you are just struggling, ask God where you can begin to serve so that you can experience His life-transforming power at work in you.

Make a choice and get involved…so that you can be a better disciple.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: