Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What’s Next?


Sunday morning retuning: God is on the move at North-Mar Church.  If you were present in the services Sunday I am certain you caught several glimpses of things only explainable as the work of God.  Especially those two powerful LifeChange stories. I can hardly wait for what is next.

What’s Next?  Pastor Myron began to answer that question Sunday for us a church family in terms of 1. Maintaining and Improving our Current Facility, 2. Local Outreach and 3. Global Missions.  These are our top three priorities as we stand firm (Gal 5:1) after our mortgage is paid off this summer.

You must know that just as the Elders have been praying about these matters of the last year and more, so I too have been praying and looking to God for an answer to this same question as it impacts the future of our worship ministries.  I want to take a few minutes to paint a picture of how God has been leading me through this process.

Throughout my entire ministry life I have practiced the model of rotational worship teams that we use now at North-Mar.  Over the last couple of years I have begun to struggle more and more with the limitations of our current model and have considered alternatives.  I have spoken with churches larger than us to see what they have learned that could benefit us.  I have tried to carefully consider the unique implications of the local body we serve, and from whom we are drawn out to lead.

All of these influences have led me to a conclusion.  It is time for a change.  It has been difficult to come to a place where I am ready to step away from some values that have guided me, but I am trying to be careful and not allow them to be a yoke that holds us back, and in some ways they have been.

In short, I am planning on having open auditions for our worship team ministry from which I hope to form two teams which will play two weekends a month.  Beyond this there will likely be other musicians/singers who will be on a sub list to fill in as needed on those two set teams.  We will interview a couple times a year to accept/decline continued involvement on the two teams, presenting on/off ramps for people going through different seasons of life.

I believe this will benefit us in multiple ways.  Chemistry is something we have lacked because our teams our truly rotational.  This model addresses that.  It also ups the ante for those who are serving.  Coming prepared for your teams night is important and knowing when you are on helps.  Individuals will be responsible for filling their own vacancies so there is fewer 11th hour calls from me/Tammy.

They are some logistics to work through and a myriad of questions to answer and I trust I will have the opportunity to do that before auditions in late April/early May.  I hope to form teams by June so they can both prepare for the Fall recording which I am hoping to do in-studio.  Please pray as we transition and endeavor to stay one step behind Jesus.

Jesus, we want to stay close to You and help our church family enjoy Your glory.  Guide us as we look to You for what is next in this journey for our worship teams.  

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: