Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fat Tuesday


Sunday morning retuning: Pastor Myron and Sharon shared details and the impetus for their recent Pastoral Care trip to three of our international worker/missionary families.  While I appreciated the colorful stories and the glimpse into those lives, what really struck me was the Scripture.  May “increasing and overflowing love” mark our lives.

We are entering a particularly religious period of the year beginning tomorrow.  I use the word religious carefully there, mind you.  Many are enjoying today as much as they can because they intend on entering into a season of self-denial tomorrow.  Thus the folks in New Orleans celebrating Mardi Gras, French for Fat Tuesday.  Many in evangelicalism are not familiar with it, but I am speaking of Lent.  (For those wanting more info, you could start here.)

In short, it is the season of the Church Year beginning on Ash Wednesday and continuing through Holy Saturday, the day before Easter.  For many this is a season of self-denial, prayer, fasting and giving as we prepare for Easter by going through a period of mourning and reflection on the nature of Christ’s sacrifice.  I encourage you to make some preparations for Easter as well even if giving up red meat is not one of them.

This is a good idea.  Welcoming into the regular cycle of life, something that disturbs or interrupts our habits, the mindless minutia.  Taking some things away to make room for remembrance.  But more so than giving something up, which may be necessary, I want to encourage you to shift your focus, to refocus on Christ in these days.

Like the ashes, sometimes from the burned remains of last years Palm Sunday branches, which will mark the foreheads of many worshippers tomorrow, may our lives be marked by a careful remembering of the passion of the Christ.  And what will be that mark, that distinctive characteristic in your life?  I am praying mine will be love.

A few years ago, I came across a simple prayer that pops up as a note when I look at the task “Preparing for My Day” on my calendar.  I do not look at it regularly, but when I do it reminds me of this the greatest commandment which Jesus taught.  I do not pray it religiously either, but maybe that could help.

God, whether I get anything else done today, I want to make sure that I spend time loving You and loving other people--because that's what life is all about.  I don't want to waste this day.

That is my prayer on this Fat Tuesday, this day of indulgences, to be more loving.  I have a feeling I will be even more thankful for His sacrifice that ever if I am able to maintain this focus.  I know I need a lot of help.  How will you observe Lent?

Jesus, help me to soberly reflect on how to best prepare for Easter.  I will begin today.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.  

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: