Tuesday, November 16, 2010

For Whom are You Thankful, and Why?

Sunday morning retuning: Have you laid down that penchant for revenge that you have been carrying around for too long? Have you taken a few minutes to give that situation over to God? Stop wrestling with Him and give to Him today. Why not right now?

Dear Worshipers,

We are upon the week on Thanksgiving. What? A week you say? Isn’t it a day? Well, yes it is, but it is a different week for me so I think of it differently. Besides that, isn’t it really more of a lifestyle than an event? Alright, before you dismiss my quips as attempts to over-spiritualize life, let me take a slightly different approach.

I would like to challenge you to do something. I think it is a very biblical concept. “I thank my God every time I remember you.” [Philippians 1:3] That’s what Paul said to the church in Philippi. Expressing thankfulness to someone for something that your appreciate about them. I am not going to over-spiritualize this, and I want to caution you not to either.

Here’s the challenge. Write a note. A “thank you” note. It seems like such a simple thing. But it can have a profound impact. Take my word for it.

I try to make a regular habit of this. I do not do it as often as I would like, but it is a regular thing I do. There have been quite a few times that God has really used that in a relationship in ways I could not have imagined. Maybe there is someone that could really use a word of encouragement from you. Maybe God wants to use this exercise to build someone up and you may be the only one capable of doing it.

But maybe there is another angle on this. Maybe the point of the exercise is for you. Maybe you need to discipline yourself to take a few moments and prayerfully consider who you take a few moments to express some appreciation toward. It shouldn’t be very difficult. Maybe a friend at work, a fellow classmate, neighbor or family member. Maybe you need to do this more than this once.

Maybe you will realize that you are not a very thankful person. Maybe a whole list of people will come to mind, maybe only a few. Could it be that this means you are very thankful, or just need to take some time to express it? Only Jesus really knows the answer to that question, but if you ask He will share it with you.

Let’s endeavor to be thankful people. And not just once a year, but all year long.

Jesus, make me thankful. Open my eyes to the blessigs in my life, and teach me to regularly and genuinely express it to them. I want the people around me to know me as thankful, all year long.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: