Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Telling His Story

Dear Worshipers,

As Pastor Nathan played and we sang, “I love to tell the story…” my heart soared to hear God’s people declare that simple truth. Then, over the next 30 minutes or so to have our hearts so encouraged at the telling of His story through our guest speakers was quite a blessing. Then, after we prayed for them, we were encouraged to go and continue the telling, as the Psalmist said in 66:16 “let me tell you what he has done for me.”

So how has your telling going? Has it slipped your mind, or been crowded out like mine a time or two? Oh, I did pretty well Sunday afternoon at the Worship Ministries picnic, but I do not think it was long before I was on to other pursuits. The really challenge is letting that pursuit “telling His story” shape all my other ones.

I was thinking of this during staff prayer this morning when one of the Pastors Paul prayed something about being “prone to wander”. Immediately, thought of the text of the old hymn “Come, Thou Fount” which was part of the original inspiration for the naming of this blog. [See early entries] If you do not know it here is a link with the text. "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" David Crowder Band

The line that my mind went to was this. “Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.” I love Him. I love His story. I love to tell the story. I love discovering everyday my part in it. And yet…I know that my mind-at the rest of me-is prone to wander and engage in other things.

I know you understand what I am talking about, but I did not write to commiserate with you but to encourage you. Think of the first line of the song. “Tune my heart to sing Thy grace.” Tune my heart. I get out of tune. I need you to tune my heart. I line me up with you again and set me back on track. That is exactly what we need. It’s what our Savior wants to do. Why no ask Him again right now to tune your heart? It really not that hard.

Then, when you start to fell a little out of tune, do it again. It’s a musical way of praying “Fill me Holy Spirit”. It is the same thought. I want to sing Your grace, live for You but I need Your help to do even that.

Jesus, tune my heart to sing Your grace. Your never-ceasing streams of mercy call for this response-loudest praise. But not only loud. In tune. Help me.

In Christ,
Pastor Timothy

No comments: