Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Seeing God at Work

Dear Worshipers,

How is your eyesight? Can you see things clearly? Do you have to hold the newspaper at arms length to read it without your glasses? Fortunately, we do not need to have great eyesight to see God at work. All we need is the faith to acknowledge His activity as such.

I was speaking with a friend this morning. Her little boy has been sick for a while. Really sick. In the hospital sick, a number of different times. He was released last week and headed back to school on Thursday only to have to leave school to go back to the doctor. They said migraines and set mom to get some prescriptions.

While there waiting on them, a man dressed like a hobo came up to them. He placed his hands on her son, which normally would have really freaked her out, but didn’t just then. He said something to the effect of, “Jesus is with you little man. You are going to be fine.” Turning to his mom, the man said “Don’t worry. God is in control.” He looked back at her son and walked away.

By that evening all signs of sickness were gone. When she commented that the medicine had really worked, her son corrected my friend and reminded her of what the man had said. They talked about Hebrews 13:2 and how the man seemed to have been an angel to them. She said it was her best Mother’s Day ever. Her son is still well.

Tears welled up in my eyes as she told me this story. By God’s grace, I see God at work in that situation, as she did. How often is God at around us and we do not recognize it? So I ask the question again…

How’s your eyesight? I am not talking about the Hebrews 11:1, “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” I am talking about the spiritual eyesight that allows us to see God at work around us and acknowledge it as such. Let me ask a different question.

How do see God at work around you? God is at work around you. That is not the question. The question is can you see it. Pray for the faith to see God at work in your circumstances. He wants to rescue you for sin. He wants you to experience the abundant life. He wants you to now He loves you. Can you see it?

Pray. And then get ready to have your eyes opened.

Jesus, open my eyes that I may see glimpses of your work around me. I was blind, but now I see. I was lost but now I’m found. I was dead, but now I live. And now my lifesong sings. Amen.

In Christ,
Pastor Timothy

No comments: