Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Talents

Dear Worshippers,

One of the comments that most commonly comes out of people’s mouths when someone shares something musically at church is “She is so gifted.” The musical ability displayed is rightly attributed to the musician as a gift, which obviously implies there is a giver. For those of us who know Him, that would be Giver.

This terminology has bothered me for some time because I believe there is a more accurate way to describe the ability. I have also just recently realized another layer of meaning that causes me to be comfortable with a different terminology. I have said to some that I might just do my doctoral work in this area of understanding “gifting”, but I will try to limit my thoughts here to a few paragraphs.

First, I like to think of these abilities as talents. [This changes the comment to “She is so talented.”] I think the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30) gives credence to this way of thinking because it so clearly shows several people being given something for a particular purpose, to put that talent to work. Though the same could be said for the spiritual gifts, I prefer to think of these as being imparted with the Spirit at redemption, whereas talents I believe are given by God to all.

Second, a talent undeveloped is as good as one never possessed. In the parable we see that the master takes it away from the one who did not put it to good use. How many people have undeveloped talent? The Lord has given them ability for His glory, but they do not use it accordingly.

I believe this helps differentiate between talent and gift in the minds of even the unbeliever. It is understood that a gift is meant to be enjoyed by the recipient. A talent on the other hand is meant to be employed.

With regard to the spiritual gifts, I believe you could employ your talent to exercise your gift. Do you follow me? I could use my musical talent to exercise the gift of leadership, or for my own purposes.

All this to say, we all have been given talent. Yours may not be as much musical as it is something else, like building or solving difficult problems or helping to include people in activities, or any other number of things. Here is why I am thinking about it these days?

I want to be exceptional in my gifting and deeply satisfied in my calling. [I want the same for each of you.] This will require that I know my gifts and my talents. I will employ them in both endeavors. If I do not know my talents, I can not invest in them and make them my strengths. More on that next week.

Until then…ask the Lord what your talents are and how you can begin to develop them for His glory.

In Christ,


Pastor Scott

No comments: