Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Gratitude…Changes Everything

Dear Worshippers,

As I was preparing for our Thanksgiving Eve service last week, I watched again a video that will use to set the tone for the service. One of my most vivid memories in worship at our church came during one of these services a couple of years ago when Jack Clise gave this brief testimony, “I’m thankful that I’m six feet up instead of sic feet under.” Now that’s perspective.

It’s that kind of perspective that our opening video and time of quiet reflection will seek to cultivate. 2008 has been a very interesting year for most people. Frankly, it’s been a year where our gratitude levels might be low. But is there something beyond our circumstances to be grateful for? Of course there is. Watch how this video puts it. [This link takes you to a page that has a small-scale full-length preview (2.31) of the video on the site where I purchased it.]

Thanksgiving 08

Though you have seen the video, I hope you will come and worship with us tomorrow night.
The service is at 6:30. I hope you can join us as the elders lead us through a time of praise, thanksgiving and prayer. My prayer is that it will cultivate an “attitude of gratitude” within the hearts of everyone present.

As the video says, gratitude changes everything. If you can look at your current circumstance with gratitude, not because of it, but because God is right there with you in the middle of it, your countenance changes. Even if you can not see God, and do not feel that He is there, but believe that He is, gratitude can blossom. It brings to mind I Thessalonians 5:18 “Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I know you want to be in God’s will. Then give thanks…in everything, not because of everything. Little word, big difference.

Come and experience that difference with us Wednesday night. Share the video with someone who can’t be there. Exercise gratitude, this Thursday and beyond, and watch everything change, as you do.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: